At Palos Community Hospital, we realize no one ever wants to be sick or in the hospital. So we endeavor to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible.
Palos Community Hospital is committed to making your stay a safe experience. Please be aware of the following:
- Use your call light whenever you need assistance. Ask the nurse if you can get out of bed without help.
- Use your call light in the bathroom if you become weak or need assistance.
- The side rails of your bed may be kept up for safety.
- Wear slippers or shoes with non-skid soles while walking. Should you need slip-resistant footwear, please ask your nurse for a pair.
- Wear a robe that ties or snaps. Those you step into may cause you to fall.
- Your bed has adjustable height settings and should be kept in the low position.
- Tell the nursing staff if a spill occurs.
- Please alert your nurse to any special needs we should be aware of, such as frequent trips to the bathroom, getting up during the night or difficulty seeing clearly, so we can assist you.
Every day you will be visited by one of our staff members for your individualized meal selections. Breakfast is usually served from 7:30 to 9 a.m., lunch is from 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and dinner is from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
Because of the harmful effects associated with smoking and safety issues, Palos provides a tobacco-free environment - smoking is prohibited on the campus.
Public Telephones/Cellular Phone Use
Public telephones are located in the Main Lobby, in the Emergency Department Lobby, next to the Registration Desk in the Ambulatory Care Center, in the Surgical Waiting/Reception area, and on each floor near the elevators. The use of cellular phones is prohibited within the hospital, with the exception of the Main and Ambulatory Care Center lobbies, unit solariums, the Surgical Waiting/Reception area, and the Maternity Unit family waiting area.
For Your Comfort
Palos Community Hospital has chaplains or pastoral associates who visit patients on request. If you would like to talk to a chaplain or pastoral associate, ask your nurse to call Pastoral Care at (708) 923-4029.
Our social workers provide confidential counseling for a wide range of concerns, including emotional issues, financial troubles and relationship difficulties. They have comprehensive knowledge of community resources available to you. For more information, call the Social Services Department at (708) 923-4840.
Palos Community Hospital has an animal-assisted therapy program known as Wags Therapy. Highly trained volunteer handler/dog teams provide therapeutic visits seven days a week to patients who meet our medically approved criteria.
Palos Community Hospital volunteer's deliver mail to patient rooms daily. They also have copies of the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune and SouthtownStar available for purchase at the newsstand price.